Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"I'm so frustrated!"

As the Relief Society President in my ward, I sometimes have the opportunity to counsel women who come to me seeking advice or simply wanting a sounding board as they sort through their problems.
Often, the issues they talk to me about stem from frustrations in their relationships whether they be with friends, family, or coworkers. Although I don't have a professional background in psychology, I do my best to listen with empathy and ask open ended questions.
One book that I have recommended more than any other is Dr. John M. Gottman's "The Relationship Cure". My bishop says it's the best book on relationships he has ever read. I have found some of the communication exercises in the book to be extremely enlightening. Are you aware of others' bids for connection? Do you respond by turning towards, turning away, or turning against? You may be surprised.
If you are looking for a way to improve any or all the relationships in your life (marriage, parent/child, roommate, coworker, boss, in-laws, etc.) invest the $10.03 and pick this one up at Walmart. Better yet, check it out at the public library for free.
Who among us doesn't want healthier relationships, stronger emotional connections, and better communication? This book not only can dramatically transform troubled relationships into positive ones, but it can elevate and improve even the good relationships in your life. It's extremely useful, practical, and spot-on.
I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment